Wikis > EP-704 ANSYS FLUENT Airfoil 2D Setup
Date: June 17, 2015
1. PURPOSE / DESCRIPTION
- To set a standard procedure for airfoil simulation in ANSYS Fluent
- This will be 2D simulation, which is the same as having two symmetry boundaries to the right and left of the airfoil.
- The setup will mostly follow the tutorial from SimCafe (https://goo.gl/OLIX5g)
- The procedure follows the wind tunnel simulation that was run for the NX Drone
- Useful resources:
- Full course videos on ANSYS website for Fluent.
- “Workshop 04: Airfoil” from ANSYS Fluent full course materials
- Airfoil Tools: http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=naca0015-il
- UIUC Airfoil Database: http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/coord_database.html
- How to import/plot points: http://pjotr.ru/ansys_dm_01/
- General Tips: http://www.computationalfluiddynamics.com.au/category/tips-and-tricks/
- Air Properties Calculator: http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/old/onlinetools/airprop/airprop.html
- If you have no experience with ANSYS, it is recommended that you go through the ETP for Learning ANSYS.
2. Geometry & Meshing PROCEDURE (without explicit inflation layer definition)
- Find online the coordinates for the desired airfoil.
- You need to write the points into a .txt file with the following format
- Any lines beginning with #’s are simply comments and do not have to be included.
- The first number is the group number and the second is the order within the group. The remaining three numbers are the XYZ coordinates of each point. You only need 1 group, however, for this procedure.
- Follow the first 5 steps in the tutorial about point importing. Because this is a 2D procedure, you will only have one surface (one group of points) to create.
- Before creating the surface of the Make sure to zoom into the trailing edge and connect the open points after creating the curve from the points.
- After successfully creating the surface of the airfoil, move on to the tutorial on SimCafe.
- Set the velocity components to the desired velocity components depending on the desired angle of attack and Reynolds number.
- Save image captures of contours, plots, and graphics created throughout the tutorial.